Robin Hemley is an international writer, who has published a dozen books as well as essays and short stories around the world. He is the Founder and past President of NonfictioNOW, the leading international conference for literary nonfiction. He directed The Nonfiction Writing Program at The University of Iowa from 2004-2013 and is a Professor Emeritus at The University of Iowa. A past Vice President of AWP, past Faculty Chair of the low-residency MFA Program at Vermont College (now Vermont College of Fine Arts) he is currently The Director of the Writing Program and Writers’ Centre at Yale-NUS College in Singapore, Professor of Humanities and Writer-in-Residence. He is likewise a Distinguished Visiting Professor at RMIT College in Melbourne, a Contributing Editor of The Iowa Review, and a Senior Editor of Panorama: the Journal of Intelligent Travel. He is currently a board member of NonfictioNOW and The Asia Pacific Writers and Translators Association (APWT), and previously served as a member of the Iowa City Unesco City of Literature Board. He has won many awards for his writing, including a Guggenheim Fellowship, three Pushcart Prizes in both fiction and nonfiction, The Nelson Algren Award for Fiction from the Chicago Tribune, The Independent Press Book Award, the Governor’s Award from the State of Washington, and many others, including residencies at The Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown, The MacDowell Colony, Varuna Writers Centre, The Bogliasco Foundation, The Hermitage, Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, and others.
He regularly gives writing workshops in fiction and nonfiction around the world. With the writer Xu Xi, he organizes writing retreats and workshops through Authors at Large.
- An essay of Robin’s, “The Imagined Parakeet: Invention and Fact Irrelevance in the Essay” was recently published in TEXT.
- Robin has two short stories forthcoming in the The Iowa Review.
- Robin was recently appointed a Senior Editor of Panorama: The Journal for Intelligent Travel.
- A profile of a refugee to the shores of Australia will appear in a forthcoming issue of Panorama.
- Robin was reappointed Distinguished Visiting Professor at RMIT University in Melbourne.
- Robin recently led successful trips through Authors at Large with Xu Xi and Madeleine Thien to Hua Hin, Thailand and Telunas Private Island in Indonesia.
- Robin recently gave a workshop on “Fakes, Frauds and Forgeries” at the Iowa Summer Writing Festival in Iowa City.
- Robin, who founded NonfictioNOW in 2005, recently stepped down in his role as President of the organization after co-organizing the sixth successful iteration of the well-known conference, this one in Reykjavik, Iceland. He will remain on the board and looks forward to the next NonfictioNOW at Arizona State University in 2018.
- Robin will teach a graduate course on nonfiction at LaSalle College of the Arts in Singapore, starting in January of 2018.
Robin was the final judge in 2017 of the Crazyhorse Literary Prize in Nonfiction